The beauty of Sweet Arleen’s is not just in the love we bake into each and every one of our cupcakes, but the business acumen that has been applied to the business. Arleen is recognized for her baking skills and recognition of flavor, however, her more coveted success has come in business.
Sweet Arleen’s = Years of Business Consulting applied to Arleen’s Personal Passion.
While Sweet Arleen’s is a cupcake business, it could really be anything thanks to the process, procedures, systems and best-in-class consumer research. This is why you are not buying a concept with 8 locations, you are buying a brand that has now been applied to a cupcake concept.
This is a business, not a hobby.
Welcome to Sweet Arleen’s.
History, Brand Overview & Vision
Coming from a modest upbringing in northern California, the business-savvy banker-turned-baker Arleen has been a self-starter since the very beginning. At the age of eight, Arleen learned her first lesson in distribution management when she began selling Christmas greeting cards door-to-door. After discovering that retail was her niche, the young Arleen decided to continue her tactical drive, setting a series of goals that she wanted to achieve, including buying her own car, getting into business and moving to Southern California. By 18, she had achieved all of those goals.
Arleen supported her family and herself, and without a bachelor’s degree, became her family’s primary breadwinner. After beginning her career at a small bank, she began climbing the ranks at Washington Mutual, eventually reaching the position of senior vice president. In 2008, when Arleen left her job with the banking giant, she set her sights on another goal to achieve. That entrepreneurship opportunity would take shape in the form of her own consulting firm, OpExNow, which now has a strong national footprint, thanks to a team of dedicated consultants — many of whom have previously worked with Arleen through her banking career. But, consulting didn’t completely satisfy Arleen’s sweet tooth.
“After years of consulting great businesses, I decided I wanted to blend my experience with my passion for food and create a culinary-centric business,” she said. “Since our opening, we have established a proven model that will propel Sweet Arleen’s forward in the franchising industry.”
In 2008, Arleen and her team began the build-out of the boutique bakery concept, and a year later, Sweet Arleen’s officially opened their doors — and their ovens — baking their now-famous cupcakes and bread puddings in Westlake Village, Calif. Today, after several rounds on Food Network’s Cupcake Wars and the Cooking Channel’s Unique Sweets, Arleen is preparing to continue extending the success of Sweet Arleen’s beyond California through franchising.
“Based on the incredible success we’ve seen since our bakery launch, we felt that franchising would be the best mechanism for growth on a national scale,” said the bakery’s namesake, CEO and Founder Arleen Scavone. “We’re looking for individuals with entrepreneurial spirits to bring our California-based confections across the country.”
President / CEO – Sweet Arleen’s
Franchising allows aspiring business owners to pursue their dreams in an industry they love while eliminating much of the risk and guess work that usually accompanies a new business start-up. What better an opportunity to own a business built by successful process consultant veterans?
Franchising is a major force in almost every industry, accounting for a disproportionate share of service-related sales throughout the U.S.
The specialty food industry continues to enjoy spectacular growth, outpacing most sectors within the U.S. economy. From 2009 through 2011, sales of specialty foods rocketed by 19.1% compared to 2.0% growth in overall ready foods (according to IMAP.com) with specialty bakery retail sales increasing 9.2% between 2010 and 2011.
Here are some of the highlights (from Specialty Food magazine):
In 2011, 41% of specialty food manufacturers reported more than a 20% increase in sales
The average transaction size for specialty food stores was $41.49 in 2011, up 11.4% over 2010
Specialty foods represent 13.7% of all retail food sales
Total sales of specialty foods in 2011 were over $75 billion
The global baked good industry is expected to exceed $310 billion per year by 2015, according to research by Global Industry Analysts. (http://strategyr.com)
The Ideal Candidate…
Imagine waking up in the morning, realizing that you now report to yourself. You are now your own boss, all without having to reinvent the wheel and create a brand new business model.
You walk into your Sweet Arleen’s and take a deep breath, smelling a wonderful aroma of baked goods. You smile, as your team is back there preparing for the daily rush.
You then walk outside for a glimpse of your supporting food truck, as your manager stacks the racks with cupcakes.
You then hop in your car and drive to your second store to check on its progress. And then your third. And then your fourth.
You are now a multi-unit operator. A business owner. A local hero for both the consumer’s tastes and for the business community.
We want people who dream big. Who dream of owning a true business that has a flagship location and spokes for extensions to food trucks and stores.
Arleen has already knocked out the kinks and established first in class business practices. Now, it’s your turn to follow a business model that has grossed $800,000 with one single unit.
Sweet Arleen’s is committed to providing you with many benefits that individuals starting a business on their own would not receive. The most evident of these benefits is a proven business model with an established product or service, along with high profile brand recognition.
As a franchisee you’ll receive:
- Invaluable start-up assistance and training to avoid making mistakes experienced by other new businesses
- Technical, operational and managerial assistance unavailable to independent businesses
- Complete 4 –set manual suite
- High-profile Regional and National Branding
- Award-winning products
- Industry-leading website
- Proprietary recipes and formulas from the Food Network’s 3-time Cupcake Wars Champion!
- And, ongoing support with Arleen!
“The first thing that really struck me was their bread puddings, but I liked the entire spread of products from the very beginning,” she said. “I absolutely love cooking, and especially baking. It’s something I really enjoy doing and live for during the holidays. Since it’s a big piece of who I am and how I like to spend my time, I was inspired to make it my business and my career.”
Owner/Franchisee Plano, TX
The Sweet Arleen’s Model
Sweet Arleen’s “hub and spoke” system offers three different yet integrated business models providing multiple revenue and profit centers for both single unit and multi-unit operators. This system provides flexibility and creates unlimited opportunity for all of our franchisees.
The Sweet Arleen’s Difference
- Size Matters: Folklore says it was by accident. Perhaps it was done on purpose. When the first store opened, we couldn’t source standard cupcake tins. We ended up having to use muffin tins — thus creating a product that was nearly double the size of the competitors. What we found was that while size does matter, it doesn’t come at a huge food cost difference to us.
- No guess work in this business: Arleen’s consulting business is a $15m/year business. Arleen means business. She has cross applied tactics that have worked for X Fortune 500 clients. You are buying a business, not a start-up dream.
- Innovation Protects the Brand: What comes to mind when you think about bread pudding? We know, raisins. Not in ours. We have created a savory line that acts as meal replacement for the entire family. And, we won’t just stop there. We are constantly identifying more spokes to our core business to protect longevity and shifts in consumer’s tastes.
“Honestly? Their red velvet cupcakes. Sweet Arleen’s has the total package when it came to a bakery. The brand is fun, it’s relevant and their selection is incredible. We’re all extremely excited about this opportunity and are looking forward to the growth we can accomplish.”
Owner/Franchisee Draper, UT
The total initial investment necessary to begin operation of a Sweet Arleen’s franchise ranges from:
$270,600 – $439,000
- Initial franchise fee of $35,000
- Grand Opening allocation $7,500
- Initial inventory
- Working capital
We collect a 6% royalty and 1.5% for Marketing Advertising on a weekly basis.
Arleen’s industry exclusive Jumpstart Program is a pre-training program that holds you hand throughout each step of your new business’s start-up and which guides you thru day-to-day management, operations and marketing. From basic tasks, such as applying for a local business license and obtaining your Federal Tax ID number; to more expansive assignments, such as initial employee hiring and the development of your grand opening target marketing campaign. Your introduction to Jumpstart will maximize your time before training:
- Introduction to the corporate office
- Franchisee Goal Setting
- Business entity positioning
- Sites selection & build out
- Licensing, Insurance & Taxes
- Financial Matters & Office Set-up
- Vendors & inventory
- Marketing & Competitive positioning
- Hiring, selection & training
- Grand opening planning
- Tools, checklists & pre-training assignments
Every franchisee receives hands-on, start-up training through the Sweet Arleen’s University program in beautiful Westlake Village, CA. Your training will cover every aspect of Sweet Arleen’s operations and will include a 4-Set Manual Suite, class room curriculum at the Corporate office, instructional demonstrations and job shadowing at our Flagship kitchen and facilitated open discussion and consultation with our leadership team. You will learn from the very best and most experience operators including Arleen herself:
- Brand Strategy & Visual Identity System
- Quality Standards – Product, packaging & presentation
- Detailed product knowledge & recipe preparation
- Vendor Onboarding & Inventory management
- Customer Service, health & Safety Standards
- Front of the house operating policies & Procedures
- Back of the house operating policies & Procedures
- Cakes & Sweet Occasions consultations
- Sourcing, selecting & training your team
- Marketing, promotion & Press
- Technology Infrastructure & POS Platform
- Finance and accounting
Sweet Arleen’s University also provides you with continuing education; a Support Model to help you efficiently and effectively execute. Our leadership team is always ahead of the curve providing you with fresh brand identity tools, process improvements and product development advantages that clearly differentiate the Sweet Arleen’s brand.
Our ongoing Support Model establishes a platform for real success:
- Growing Sales & A Loyal Fan Base
- Local Marketing & Event Creation
- Leverage of Corporate Media & national Brand Awareness
- Website updates & Social Media placement
- Competitive research & product development
- Managing the Brand Promise
- Perfect Product Execution
- Operational Troubleshooting
- Scheduling & general personnel management
- Financial controls
- Vendor management & purchasing/pricing oversight
- Profit & Loss analysis and cost management consultation
“From the very beginning as a prep cook to eventually growing into the role of lead chef at Sweet Arleen’s, I knew early on I really loved the brand. I I decided to pursue franchising because I really wanted to stay with the company, buteven more than that I wanted to be my own boss… Since it was a brand I was so passionate about, I found it incredibly easy to make the decision that I wanted to be an entrepreneur in the restaurant world.”
Owner/Franchisee Yorba Linda, CA
Sweet Arleen’s maintains advanced operational, marketing and sales technology systems to build and manage a rapidly growing business with optimal automation of otherwise manual processes:
- Company-wide communication and data storage platform
- Online supply ordering
- Tech support
- SEO, browser, web & social media integration
- Online collateral catalog
- Direct mail
- POS, loyalty & gift card programs
- Online ordering
- National shipping
Now that you have had a chance to learn a little more about Sweet Arleen’s, we would like to learn a little about you. Please take some time to fill out our confidential Personal Profile by filling out the below.
A representative of our development team will then contact you to share more about what makes Sweet Arleen’s such a unique opportunity. If you elect to move forward, the next steps include:
- One-on-one meetings with a member of the franchise development team to review and discuss all aspects of the Sweet Arleen’s business
- Receiving a copy of our Franchise Disclosure Document
- A collaborative environment for your discovery process
- An Opportunity to meet the team, visit our Corporate Office and tour our flagship Sweet Arleen’s kitchen
- To speak with one of our representatives, please complete the short profile and we will call you within 48 hours of your submission.
Congratulations on taking the first step toward joining the Sweet Arleen’s Team.
To view the full Sweet Arleen’s Franchising Experience go to franchising.sweetarleens.com on a desktop or tablet. To request more information please enter your e-mail below.